Wednesday 28 October 2009

Profile of an artist

My name is Chris Larkin, I'm 44, and I'm an artist.

I have worked many different jobs throughout my life, but I suppose at heart I've always been an artist.

In fact art defines my very being.

Why do I do it?

I try to provide for my family is one reason.I certainly don't make any huge amounts, though not for the lack of trying.

The other main reason is, I just can't help myself. Corny as it sounds, it's almost a calling.I am compelled to create.
When I sometimes have to lay down my brushes, and work some crummy part time job to keep ahead of the bills, there's a force inside of me that literally eats away at me until I start painting again.
I have been known to chew my nails, develop minor nervous tics, and be at war with the entire world because of the pent up creative forces inside of me need somewhere to go.An almost nervous energy that needs releasing.
The only known cure for me, is to paint again.It's a drive that I cannot harness or control, and I am forced along the tide with it.It's like being on a racing horse, and being at one with the energy underneath.
If I fall off, my foot is caught in the stirrup, dragging me along until I pll myself back up and flow with the force.
I have very few other skills, but then I don't want many other passions.
I have all I need through my art, and I am thankful for that force that drives me.
Whether I make it big, and turn out rich who knows.
Truthfully, I'm not sure I really care.As long as I paint then life has some meaning and purpose for me.
Art is like having a child.The real gift is when you've passed on, and the legacy lives on long after you are gone.
It says to the world. I WAS HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment